The site that is situated in the grounds of 16 Market Place covers the eastern range of what
was once part of the wider complex of the Bishops Manor at Howden. Used as a residence
by the Bishops of Durham since before 1128, and most certainly in use as a manor house by
nobility since Saxon times, all that remains today is a small part of the southern side of the
complex. Despite the generally medieval-looking facade of this existing dwelling, the majority
of the building has been a victim of nineteenth century adjustments and modifications, as
evident by its windows and interior features. However, the existing building is not of interest
to this project. Instead, the interest lies in the building and wider complex that once was,
more specifically its eastern range.
The medieval manor house was formed by a quadrangle of buildings based around a central
courtyard. Based upon a detailed survey completed in 1561, the eastern side of this
quadrangle may be found to cover what is now the grounds of 16 Market Place. The
medieval structure that once stood here included a chapel, closets, privy and the private
apartments of the Bishop of Durham.
A section of brick wall that stretches from the existing building to the edge of the grounds of
16 Market Place demonstrates the length of this eastern section. This is supported by the
correlation of the wall with he 1561 survey of the post medieval manor house. This wall lies
where the east end of the complex would have been and now forms a garden wall for the
site at 16 Market Place. Indeed, stone from the original medieval structures may be found to
make up part of the contemporary wall [see figure four].
Furthermore, the survey suggests that part of this eastern corner was in fact partly double
story, as attested to by the placement of a small and long stair, and the fact that the area
contained a vaulted stone cellar beneath the chapel. Interestingly, over two hundred years
later in 1794 ruins of medieval buildings still remained along the eastern edge of the manor.
By 1840, when the southern part of the manor was used as a farm house, the eastern side
still held several large ruins of medieval buildings, including the remains of the ribs and
groinings of an extensive stone vault. This stonework being undoubtedly what remained of
the bishop’s chapel.
Furthermore, archaeological work previously completed on the surviving southern section of
the Bishop’s Manor in 1984 did indeed suggest that the east wall could be the oldest part of
the building, dating back to the times of the conquest. This theory is supported by further
work done just over a decade later. However, none of the above theories were based upon
any solid archaeological evidence. Despite the interest the eastern range may hold, no
evaluations of what may remain of it has ever been explored.
Howden Heritage Centre 2018
The site would be of considerable interest and importance to the community in Howden,
where the significance of the town in terms of its connections to the Church, English Royalty
and nobility can be explored further through archaeological evidence. In particular, being
able to establish the actual extent of the eastern range of the Bishop’s Manor complex will
notably aid our understanding further of the importance Howden held to the Bishops of
Durham and nobility alike during the medieval period.